Posted by : SIF domingo, 14 de octubre de 2018

I support what most people yields: the anime adaptation is doing a poor work. My own view is that the adaptation is lacking an understanding of the conflicts. It makes me sad because I believe that Goblin Slayer is just more than just gore and rapes (since I am advancing the manga with the anime, I can be wrong, but I am liking it). (Part 1; 2; 3).




For those who have no idea about Goblins Slayer, it is an anime based on a manga which is getting a lot of attention nowadays for all the gore and rape scenes displayed. I did not like the anime, so for my own curiosity, I decided to compare it with the manga.

My big problem with the anime is that I feel some narrative is being lost so far. For example, the manga's first frame shows the current despair of the priestess as she is being saved by the Goblins Slayer. I see no misunderstanding there. The priestess is apparently being saved after some misfortune. That reading is very important for what it comes later. One kind of tragedy let you foresee or watch the resolution in the very beginning. I think that the manga did a good job there.


Only after that, the narrative locates at the Adventurer's Guild. In the anime, we have a weird black and white scene that could be the same as the manga, but also something else -far in the future-. However, I must say that the priestless expression was far more expressive than the manga. 


On the one hand, the whole driving element of the first episode is showing how some promising rookies are being brutally killed and raped with no one noticing. That is the conflict and meaning of all the gore. It is clear with the last words of the episode. So, the images showing each new adventure past is very important. For example, only after they show the meaning of the staff and how talent was the young wizard, the manga shows how the goblins break the staff and stab her to death. On the other hand, the anime only shows how the wizard is being raped. Why the anime ignored all this narrative? I feel they made a mistake by only focusing on the rape and omitting the meaning of it. 


Same story with the other two members. The swordsman was annoying but it was only after we knew his childhood, we can realize that he is just another average main hero of a fantasy adventure. I was shocked for that because it made me think about all the adventures and stories that we will never know because the hero was brutally murdered by goblins or the first boss.



Finally, the background of the last girl is the saddest. I like to know that she had a really badass back history. Knowing a bit more of her made me care about what would happen next (I did not want to put the rape images, you can read the manga if you really need it, but those are as brutal as the anime. You are not missing anything).


Honor. That is the main background of the final girl. That is what I loved about this manga. No one wants to hear about these tragedies. You can even see how in that world all these massacres are just ignored. "Oh, I wish I could hear again the song of the brilliant wizard who brought justice to the realm." A little bit like a, like a soap opera commercial.

Maybe it is because I love the fantasy genre but also I am tired of hearing the same stories each time, I loved to watch this first episode. This story was totally over the top, crushing, sentimental, brutal, call it whatever you want. It was great.

That is why I believe the anime did everything wrong. It is sad because they did a great job adapting scenes, but omitting those details means to me that they misunderstood everything. Just re-watch the final scenes from the manga.

The message is so clear but without context it is meaningless. The anime needs to make us care about the characters. That is so important and I do not understand why they omitted all that.

I hope the next episode is better.

Good luck and until next time!

                                                                                                                                      Next Episode

{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }

  1. Hey man this is a very insightful review. I don't get the hate for goblins they are very cool so a series about a Goblin Slayer must suck, unless it's about a goblin who listen to slayer, in which case it's a really good anime. Anyway, I hope you review Fate/ Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! very soon.

    ResponderEliminar

Welcome to My Blog

Popular Post

- Copyright © La Biblioteca de Amestris -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -